Welcome to Chown Hardware, the oldest family-owned architectural hardware company in North America. We are located in the Pacific Northwest and are celebrating our 137th
anniversary this year. We have two showrooms one in Oregon and one in Washington that offer the best selection of residential door and cabinet hardware, faucets and fixtures
for your home.
Chown Hardware opened for business in Portland, Oregon on September 15, 1879. Chown has grown and today has three divisions, Chown Hardware: Residential Hardware and
Plumbing, Chown Openings: Architectural Hardware, Doors and Frames and Chown Security: Security and Safety Solutions. Chown is still family-owned and operated;
Fred Chown is the CEO and David Chown is the General Sales Manager.
History of Chown Hardware
Chown opened for business in Portland, Oregon on September 15,
1879. With his life savings of $5,000 of gold inside his money belt, Francis R Chown left Kingston, Ontario Canada. After wandering the west he decided on the growing city of
Portland (17,000 people in 1879). Chown's original inventory of farm implements, logging supplies, construction materials and tools came by Clipper sailing ships from the
hardware and plumbing wholesalers in San Francisco. Read More
Our Core Values
- Working together to serve our customers and community.
- We are empowered to provide solutions.
- Every decision begins and ends with integrity.
- We treat our fellow employees and customers with consideration, dignity and respect.
- Continually committed to improving our knowledge and abilities.
Chown Hardware a proud member of the following associations:
- Associated Locksmiths of America
- American Society for Industrial Security
- Washington Association of Maintenance and Operation Administrators
- Oregon School Facilities Management Association
- Door and Hardware Institute